By Kurt Norris
Missoula, Montana, known as "the hub of five valleys," is a captivating city nestled in the western part of the state. Surrounded by five high mountain ranges and bordered by the Clark Fork River, Missoula boasts a unique blend of rugged landscapes and rich culture that draws tourists from around the globe. As a gateway to famous national parks like Yellowstone and Glacier, Missoula offers a plethora of outdoor activities and recreational opportunities that cater to residents and tourists alike. If you're planning a trip to this scenic city and seeking guidance on where to go and what to do, look no further! We've compiled a list of the top things to do in Missoula to ensure you have an unforgettable stay.
- Go For a Hike: Missoula boasts a myriad of hiking trails that offer breathtaking views of its picturesque surroundings. From the popular "M" trail on Mount Sentinel to the serene Kim William Nature Trail along the Clark Fork River, hikers of all levels can find their perfect adventure.
- Admire the Art: Missoula's artistic spirit is showcased in its numerous art galleries, such as the Missoula Art Museum, Radius Gallery, and Dana Gallery. Immerse yourself in regional and Native American art, contemporary masterpieces, and diverse art styles.
- Give Fly-Fishing a Try: Experience the thrill of fly-fishing in the pristine waters of Blackfoot River, Bitterroot River, Rock Creek, and Clark Fork River. Missoula's top-notch fishing spots are a paradise for anglers.
- Try Bird-Watching: Discover the diverse bird species that call Missoula home. Explore spots like Blue Mountain, Clark Fork River, and Kelly Island to catch glimpses of fascinating avian creatures.
- Go Skiing: If you visit Missoula during winter, don't miss out on the skiing opportunities at places like Great Divide Ski Area, Lost Mountain Skiing Area, and Montana Snowbowl.
- Take a Dip at the Local Hot Springs: Treat yourself to a rejuvenating experience at Lolo Hot Springs, where you can unwind in naturally heated pools amidst awe-inspiring natural landscapes.
- Explore Caras Park: Engage with the local community and enjoy various events and cultural gatherings in the heart of Missoula at Caras Park. Stroll along the Riverfront Walking Trail and admire the kayakers on Brennan's Wave.
- Step into History at the Garnet Ghost Town: Venture to the Garnet Ghost Town, a well-preserved gold-mining town that offers a glimpse into the Montana gold rush era and the lifestyles of early settlers.
- Explore the Wildlife at the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation: Learn about elk and wildlife conservation at the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation's visitor center, surrounded by beautiful nature trails and diverse animal species.
- Cool Off at Splash Montana Waterpark: Beat the summer heat at Splash Montana, a family-friendly waterpark in Playfair Park. Enjoy waterslides, lazy river floats, and more in a fun-filled aquatic adventure.
Missoula is a destination that caters to nature enthusiasts, history buffs, art lovers, and thrill-seekers alike. With an array of outdoor recreational activities and cultural experiences, a trip to Missoula promises cherished memories that will last a lifetime. Whether you're traveling solo or with a group, embrace the beauty of Missoula and revel in its unique charm
Original article here: https://discoveringmontana.com/things-to-do-in-missoula-mt/